Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cow Work Pictures




I can't decide what to call this one..."La Gran Corrida" "Los Machos Bravos" or "Woody, Walter, Conly, Wylie and Walker like Shade"


Sometimes cow working is not fun. I have had some "sessions" where nothing goes good and everyone is mad. I have had some sessions where everything was stacked against you from the start, everyone knew it, and it all has to go just right....luck is involved. That is also a stressful situation. When I get to go on my West Texas trip neither of these situations present themselves. There is alot of riding involved, and because of the country, sometimes it's hard to tell where you're going(Fort Stockton), but most of the time it's really good. The cows are easy going and don't "try" you. Here are some of my pictures.
Here's me and a good gray O'Brien bred horse drifting a set to the pens in Fort Stockton. He was a nice ride.



In this photo: Clayton Wood, Walter Donnell


I call this one "Trailer Fender Lunch on Gas Station Sandwiches" I was inside the trailer soaking up whatever shade I could get.






This one is called "Conly talks about Plan B"





The day after Fort Stockton, we worked the New Pasture. It's called that because it was added to the ranch before most of our parents were born...so it's the New Pasture. We had a break for lunch and Lalo was one of the hands helping us that day. I call this one "Lalo's Horse".







This is the New Pasture Pens and view from them.




I decided on "Stories are best in the Shade" as a title for this picture.

On Friday we worked another set. After we penned them and sorted around on them, we had some time to kill before lunch was brought to us. We were spoiled this day and had BBQ brought out to the pens. Alot of the Donnell Family joined us for lunch and is was great food.


This is where most everyone at lunch. Pretty good shade.



Loading from the Lightning Ranch Shipping Pens.

After this we took a break and then starting working calves. There are other ways to do it, but none as fun as roping and dragging them. As Billito explained,"Hell after all the work of penning'em, you gotta have some fun." Well put.

Tomorrow I'm posting the last of the pictures I took and maybe soon I'll get some up that Celeste took (she took the ones with me in them here).

Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment