Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Rain Dances

I went home for the first time in about a month last weekend. When you go there after being in East Texas for as long as I have, it's a welcome sight....but it's dry. When I say dry, that is an understatement. The oldtimers are saying it's just as bad as in the '50's. I only know a few people who were around then to remember, and I take their word for it. I helped Arlen feed cows for 2 days and I got a first hand look at it.



This is basically what the cows have to eat. Nothing. Not even dry grass, just dirt.



You don't have to call'em for very long because they are standing around waiting on you to get there with something to eat.



They vacuum up every morsel.

Most of the time, it would be a stretch to feed cows Alfalfa hay in South Texas. In this case, it's good feed, and it has alot less waste than round bales of Coastal.




This picture says it all. What can you do you ask? Pray for rain. If you find a feather on the ground, tie it in your hair, don't be afraid to look silly and do your best rain dance. Who knows...between the prayers and dances, maybe we'll get some soon. This did make me think of a story and I'm going to put it up tomorrow.

Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment