Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Road and The River

I have been pretty lucky lots of ways in my life. I have been really lucky to come across some real "characters" in my life. They have taught me alot about perspective and how to see things from several different angles.

Sometimes though, I find wisdom in people I don't even know. That's when it's the most fun. Last week I was meeting with an older couple about some landman stuff and in the process of getting a lease signed the old man and I struck up a conversation. We visited for a while about East Texas and all the changes that have been happening out here. That was pretty interesting. Then he asked where I was from.

I told him a little town about 50 miles North of Corpus Christi called Refuree-o. He looked at me funny. He obviously had no idea what or where that was. I went on to tell him that it was a small town with a big road running through it. Most folks just passed on through and only stopped for gas and a Subway sandwich.

He sat and listened to me talk while his wife read some documents I had asked them to sign.

I went on to tell him that the little town is getting smaller all the time and that if someone could figure out how to make a little money off of the people traveling down the road, they could do alright. He agreed. We sat there for a minute while I looked out the window and stared at nothing. It was nice and hot outside and I was glad that I wasn't out in it at that moment.

He looked at me and said,"Son....the road is like a river....you gotta know how to fish it."

My jaw dropped. In a few minutes, they had signed the paperwork and I told them how much I appreciated it, then they were on their way. After they left, I spent quite a bit of time thinking about that. How cool.

There's always another way to see every situation friends. You can choose the view of life you like...it's up to you. I'm just out here learnin' to fish.

Walker

p.s.- If that line shows up in one of my songs pretty soon....don't blame me....he's the cool guy that came up with it....I'm just gonna use it....

No comments:

Post a Comment